Mr. Harman is a shareholder with Plant, Christensen & Kanell. He began his legal career with Plant, Christensen & Kanell in 2006 and is involved in many different aspects of insurance defense and municipal defense litigation.
Mr. Harman regularly handles cases in the following areas: personal injury, Section 1983 civil rights actions, police misconduct/use of force cases, constitutional takings claims, Title VII claims, premises liability, intentional torts, slip and fall, insurance/agent broker liability, trucking and auto cases, employment law, complex litigation, construction accidents, construction defect, product warranty claims, products liability, ski industry defense, HOA cliams and property damage claims in both state and federal court.
Mr. Harman has resolved hundreds of cases through mediation, arbitration, dispositive motions and trial. He has served as first chair during bench and jury trials, and has briefed and argued before the Utah Court of Appeals, Utah Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Appalachian School of Law, Grundy, Virginia, J.D.: 2006, Summa Cum Laude
- Recipient of the 2006 Burton Award for excellence in legal writing
- 2006 Presidential Management Fellows Finalist
- Editor-in-Chief, Appalachian Journal of Law, Volume V; Associate Editor Volume IV
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, Dual B.S.: Organizational Communication and Political Science, 2001
- General litigation (State and Federal Court)
- Personal Injury
- Municipal Law and Defense
- Civil Rights Claims
- Employment Law (Title VII)
- Insurance law
- Products liability
- Premises Liability
- Trucking/Auto accidents
- Construction and Construction Defect Litigation
- Product warranty
- Ski Industry
Admitted to Practice
- Utah State Bar (All Utah Courts)
- United States District Court, District of Utah
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- Idaho State Bar (All Idaho courts)
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- Utah State Bar Association
- Salt Lake County Bar Association
- Utah State Litigation Section
- Utah Defense Lawyers Association
- Utah Municipal Attorneys Association
Reported Cases / Publications / Selected Lectures
- Fire Insurance Exchange v. Oltmanns, 2018 UT 10, 416 P.3d 1148
- Cope v. UVSC, 2014 UT 53, 342 P.3d 243.
- Restoration of Competency Through Involuntary Medication: Applying The Sell Factors, 4 Appalachian J.L. 127 (2005).
- Speaker, Lawsuits Happen—Are You Immune?, Utah League of Cities & Towns, Fall Convention, 2016.
- Speaker, Litigation Pitfalls, Utah Municipal Attorneys Association, Spring Convention, 2017.
Interests and Hobbies
Fluent in Danish and Norwegian Languages. Served LDS Mission in Copenhagen, Denmark. Eagle Scout. Interests include running, cycling, skiing, golf and backpacking. Athletic accomplishments: 2012/18 Boston Marathons, 2012 Wasatch 100 Mile Ultra-marathon and 2015 Ironman Arizona.